Saturday, August 14, 2010

Crochet Weekend

For a long time, I didn't really want to learn crochet. I didn't like the way it felt to hold that little hook and I also thought that knit fabric was prettier than crocheted fabric. I enjoyed (and still do enjoy) working on my giant granny square blanket but I didn't have a lot of desire to learn any other crochet methods.
Lately, though, I've been giving crochet another chance. There are some really cool things about crochet; you can get a lot more sculptural, because there is only one "live" stitch, and you can do a lot of free form stuff.
This weekend I have been crocheting.
I have been making some big stuff with this giant ball of yarn. I'll probably show you what I'm making with this tomorrow. Also, the yarn ball is way bigger than it looks in this photo... do I have giant hands?


















I have also been crocheting some dainty, delicate stuff.



















































These necklaces are vintage faux pearls with crocheted cotton threads. I really like how they've turned out and I've got plans for more... It has been so rewarding to work with materials and techniques I'm totally unaccustomed to and see such a lovely result.
These necklaces are available for sale at Treehouse. You should swing by!

2 comments:

  1. Lydia! Those necklaces are AH-mazing. Seriously, as someone who only vaguely comprehends crocheting I'm totally blown away. You've definitely inspired me to get to know about that one needle business beyond just the granny squares I know and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was pretty stubborn about it but I've opened my mind a little... We'll see how long it lasts.

    ReplyDelete