Thursday, January 27, 2011

Easiest Ankle Warmers

Hey guys!
I'm just popping in to share a super quick pattern with you all. It's almost too simple and silly to be called a pattern. it's more of just loose guidelines... But first, a quick story:
Anyway, yesterday I picked up my That Girl cardigan after letting it sit untouched since September. I decided to make it long sleeve, did some calculations, checked my gauge, measured things, wrote things down. I was being a very responsible knitter. I knit the sleeve one way and then decided to go for a different look. I ripped back, recalculated and started again doing special decreases of my own design. But things didn't look quite right. I wondered, "Why does the sleeve look so wide?"
I counted the stitches and discovered that there were 64 stitches on the needles and not the 54 that I wanted. What tripped me up?.... Subtraction.
I had told myself over and over in my head that 76 minus 12 is 54. boo hoo.
So that project is currently hiding in a heap under the bed waiting for a day when I feel more confident in my basic math skills.
But I despite my lack of brain power (I blame the cold) I did want to make something yesterday and feel productive. I picked up a pair of huge size 17 needles and a ball of Lon Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Oatmeal. You may have noticed I use this yarn a lot. I just like it. It's big and affordable and you can put it in the washing machine. Good things.
I started knitting and within 3 episodes of Seinfeld I had these:
























Here's how they are made:
Cast on 16 stitches on size 17 needles with a super bulky yarn (or you can hold four strands of worsted weight together).
Knit garter stitch until the piece is 12 inches long.
Bind off.
Sew the cast-on edge to the bind-off edge.
Weave in the ends and you're done! You made something in less than 2 hours!


















And I have to say that I did feel a lot better after I finished knitting these. Like, okay, I don't know how to subtract 12 from 76... but at least I can make something to keep my ankles warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment