Monday, November 30, 2009

Knitting a Circle Scarf

Hey there!
So here it is; my first tutorial. Well, sort of a cross between a tutorial and a pattern... Anyway, I'll do my best here.
I'm going to show you how to knit a circle scarf that is really basic, knits up quickly, but also looks quite chic. I also think it's a great length to be worn long to look kind of fashion-y or double wrapped for warmth. And it only takes one skein of yarn so it makes a great, inexpensive gift! With so many neat things about this scarf, how could you resist making one?
















Here's what you'll need:
-1 skein Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn ( I used the color Cilantro)
-Size 17 29-inch circular needles
-1 stitch marker (I just used a piece of yarn tied into a loop)

The first thing you do (as with most knitting patterns) is make a nice little slip knot.




















Now you start casting on. Use a nice stretchy cast-on method. I like to use the knitting cast-on. I'll give you a description here but if you want to watch a video you can click here.
















With your slip knot on the left hand needle, insert the tip of the right hand needle into the loop from the left to the right.




















Hold both needles in you left hand so that you can use your right hand to wrap the yarn around the right needle from the back to the front.




















Use the right hand needle to pull the yarn though.




















Slip this new loop of yarn from the right needle to the left needle. Now you have two stitches cast on!
















Keep going in this fashion until you have 70 stitches on the needle. Remember to cast on loosely, don't tug on the yarn.




















Now switch the needles between your hands so that the needle with the working yarn is in your right hand. Place your stitch marker on the right needle.

Now it's time to get down to business! For the first row, purl all stitches. Then, when you get back around to the stitch marker, slip the marker from the left to the right needle and knit all stitches. Alternate between purl rows and knit rows until your piece measures about 6 1/2" from cast-on edge. Remove stitch marker and loosely bind off all stitches. Weave in edges and you're done!!!

I'll show you photos of my finished product tomorrow when the sun (hopefully) comes out.
Bye!

Want to see the finished product? Click here.
Want it with a hood? Click here.

8 comments:

  1. Can you post a video on youtube or whatever on how to make this! Please?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you use up the entire skein?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for share your lovely circle scarf :)
    I bought the circular needles and wasn`t very sure how to use it.
    I feel a bit lost in some step, if you could show a video.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if your lost try going to knitinmamas channal really great vid on circle scarfs

      Delete
  4. Hi, thanks for sharing this pattern :)
    Im a beginner and I'm just wondering if this is an example of knitting in the round or just straight knitting on circular needles. I'm looking up videos to see how I can work this out. it looks fabulous! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great tutorial!
    I finished a white one a few days ago and I'm already on a second one. It looks great, but mine turned out smaller than yours, although i almost used up the entire ball.
    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lydia,

    I've been searching for this scarf everywhere- if it is what I think. It this scarf also called a magic scarf? Like this one here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7o3NNt69Uw&feature=related

    kinda cheesy video, but it gets my question across :).

    I'm a beginning knitter and would love for this to be my first project. I also buy a lot of 'hippie' type knitting styles- such as belts, hats, bags, or a poncho and would love to find patterns to these to try...any idea where I can find these?

    Thanks,

    Tessa (aka dirtdigger)

    ReplyDelete